We're the Blaze Gang

Welcome to our blog! I'm studying Parelli Natural Horsemanship with my two ponies, Gingo and Marsan. Both of them have flashy white blazes, hence the name. However, our name is more than just a play on the ponys' markings, it reflects what we are trying to do. We're blazing a new trail, one we've never traveled before; we are becoming true partners. Hopefully some day we'll be a trio all playing to together at the same time. This blog is dedicated to documenting all that we learn and all of our adventures too.

Feb 2, 2010

Stick to me and scratches!

When I went down to the horses today, they were all hanging out at the water tank. Marsan has been in heat for the past few days and Cherroke was doing what he would do if he was a stallion still. He mounted Marsan by our large rubber tank which is against the fence. Marsan moved and he fell of her! Right into the tank! So there he was laying on his side stuck in the tank. I could only stand and watch while he thrashed his way out of the tub. He made it, licked his lips and tried to approach the RB Marsan. While all of this had been going on, Marsan was squealing shrilly, and Gingy squeaked. Well, now when I think of it I can't hardly keep from laughing, but at the time I was just as tense as my two ponies.

I scratched Gingy for awhile and he really enjoyed it. He's getting quite itchy now that he's shedding(in Feberary!). He really likes the back of his hind legs itched. It's great because he really needs a lot of friendly game in that zone.

After scratching I went and got Marsy's halter and a 12' line. I put it on Gingy because right now my 22' mecate and Gingo's halter are in the wash.

We played with stick to me for awhile. I'm working on helping Gingy understand how to maintain his responsibilities in that game, because he has a hard time keeping up sometimes. Today he seemed to savvy what I was asking him and he kept by my side pretty well. We'll keep working on this a little every day and see how it goes.

To top off our session, we did traveling circle between the cones. Gingy didn't do very well at this today, he just wasn't very connected. He paid just enough attention to note when we were coming to the cone; when he did see the cone he forgot all about the circle and dragged me to it! Oh well this session was kind cutting it close asking him for so much circling and energy. I assembled cone jump for Gingy, so we worked on that a little too. He eventually tried to jump it and that's about where we stopped.

No comments:

Post a Comment