This morning I got up early to go feed the horses because I was hoping Kayla would be able to come play. Well, the weather didn't coroporate and I could see that as soon as I stepped outside. "Oh well" I thought, I'll go feed 'em anyway. I couldn't help myself, I ended up playing at liberty with Gingy...for an hour!
Initially I just wanted to try some extreme friendly game. I wanted to find out for sure whether he was bothered by it or not. It's just to easy to ignore the subtle signs of RBness when you have a line! Turns out Gingy didn't really care much about friendly game, in fact he became pretty bored with it! However, when I wanted to go back to z4 he kept tryin to follow me with his nose because he wanted a treat. It was actually a great opportunity to do some serious FQ yields! I would play driving game or porcupine on his FQs every time he moved his HQs away from me. Eventually he realized that it was easier to just let me pet him back there LOL.
We did some other stuff to0. We did stick to me which is sorta coming along. It was cool because I started trotting and Gingy actually trotted with me!!! So that marks great progress! I say it's "sorta" coming along because I'm not sure whether he understands that he is supposed to keep me in z3.
Like the z4 friendly game, we had to spend a long time playing with his sideways. I set us a hard challenge I'll admit; I wanted Gingy to sideways away over a pole then come back to me sideways. He finally got it, but it was far from what I had pictured in my mind. I did have the savvy not to push his try any further, so I rewarded him with a treat. I'm so glad I did that because his response was to started trying again! I helped him along and he managed to do it better than the first time, but I didn't have a treat. Oh well, he wasn't to bothered by that.
It was definitely a great session, we had such great communication and connection going on. The funny thing is that it all just sorta fell into place without my worrying about it! Yesterday I prayed that God would open my mind to what Gingy has to tell me, because I haven't been listening very well lately. Today I did listen and the change from previous sessions this week was amazing. Another big thing that I tried to do more of today, was wait. I forget to do this a lot and our connection suffers as a result. Linda says that as you progress with a horse you have to keep taking care of his emotions; I think waiting is a big part of that.
Feb 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment