Yesterday, I had the intention of just going out and riding Marsan in the round pen. Of coure I thought, "what can be so hard about that." The answer? Lot's of things LOL.
She did great with grooming and saddling, but when it came to moving around without getting RB we had some things to play with. She got pretty spooked because the end of her saddle blanket flew up in the wind, naturally she jumped forward(towards me). Fortunately, my first instinct was to send a p4 four down the rope and get her out of my space. Even though that, "thanks I need that moment," helped she was still pretty RBE. So I spent the next 45 minutes helping her move her feet so she could start thinking things through. She did begin to think and thus begin to get calm. Once she could stand still and be relaxed, I did some frienldy games with the end of the saddle blanket. The friendly games didn't really bother her and she blew, so I finally felt confident to get on her. After all of that we had a very nice little ride.
I guess in short I learned that I can be a leader, even when things are not the way I want them. I was really put out for a bit that she had to get scared and my first instinct was to try and keep her from being afraid. However, I realized her fear was nothing for me to fear, I could work through it. In fact as her alpha was my job to lead her, which in her case meant letting her face her fear. I think my greatest triumph yesterday was that I was able to stay calm, clearly see what needed to happen, and make it happen.
Apr 15, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment