We're the Blaze Gang

Welcome to our blog! I'm studying Parelli Natural Horsemanship with my two ponies, Gingo and Marsan. Both of them have flashy white blazes, hence the name. However, our name is more than just a play on the ponys' markings, it reflects what we are trying to do. We're blazing a new trail, one we've never traveled before; we are becoming true partners. Hopefully some day we'll be a trio all playing to together at the same time. This blog is dedicated to documenting all that we learn and all of our adventures too.

Oct 6, 2009

Wow, what a learning experience!

I got to play today and it was super! I actually had enough time to play with both of them which always makes it more interesting since I see both sides of the introvert!

Playing with Gingy was sooooooooooo fun, especially since Mom came down and watched us. I love it when we have an audience, somehow it's easier to relax that way. Gingy did super from the start. He haltered nicely and he wasn't grumpy today. From there we did a little z3 driving, point to point sideways, and the squeeze game. I also asked him to do his feeding time pattern(squeeze into the stall, then back and wait). He did it like a dream even though he hasn't done it for two months! After that I took him into the round pen and we did the circling pattern. We got all confused at first and he started taking advantage of coming in all the time, so I had to set that straight. I might of confused myself if I had of thought about it for too long, but I felt like he just needed a change. The fifth time he came in at the same place, I just said thank you and sent him on his way. He wasn't grumpy about it and after that he maintained gait all the way through. When I brought him in I was a doubtful about whether that was the right time to release, but then he started licking and blowing so I guess that was a good time :) I think he really liked it that I rewarded him at the slightest try. After that he felt soooooo good and I would of liked to keep going, but I decided I should stop on a good point and I didn't want to keep Mrs. Marsy waiting LOL.

I learned a lot from Marsan, she always causes me to have to rely on my intuition because she is so hard to figure out!

She was pretty slow and introverted at first, at least thats the way it seemed. I kept leading her though half wondering if I was pushing her. She wasn't coming back into the world, so we took a break. While we were just sitting there Marsan wandered off to eat some leaves lying around(silly pony). I wanted her to engage in what we were doing instead of just plodding through it. I decided to play "me and my shadow" for awhile and we took turns leading each other. At first she was all introverted so I lead for a little while, then she got it. After she came back to the reality I took her out to see about saddling up(that was my plan in the beginning). We had a little trouble with picking her feet and that is something we'll have to work on in the future. I used the bareback pad this time since last time she acted like the saddle was hurting her. I think the reason the saddle hurt her last time was because I didn't have a therflex pad under it. This time with the bareback pad she made quick work of four laps with change of direction trot and walk mixed in. We stopped there and she licked up a storm LOL.

Wow! That was quite a session!

No comments:

Post a Comment