We're the Blaze Gang

Welcome to our blog! I'm studying Parelli Natural Horsemanship with my two ponies, Gingo and Marsan. Both of them have flashy white blazes, hence the name. However, our name is more than just a play on the ponys' markings, it reflects what we are trying to do. We're blazing a new trail, one we've never traveled before; we are becoming true partners. Hopefully some day we'll be a trio all playing to together at the same time. This blog is dedicated to documenting all that we learn and all of our adventures too.

Oct 15, 2009

We played in the pasture :)

I really didn't want to, but at the same time I knew Gingy would love it....so we did!

It was tons of fun, I did get a bit exasperated at one point, but that's okay. I had the cones and stuff set up for point to point, so that's just what we did. It kept Gingy engaged and I felt good about the connection that we had. He reminds me of myself sitting at the computer surfing the web, then my mom says something and I don't really hear her, then all the sudden I realise I should of listened! That's exactly what he did, silly pony! He would graze and I would come attention and start asking him something and then all the sudden he'd see that p4 looming up and jerk into action! "Sorry mom, I skip right to it"

He caught on really quickly to point to point just walking there; this isn't the first time I've done this with him. I decided to up the challenge and do falling leaf, it took a couple of stops for him to start maintaining gait, then he put some serious effort into it :D I was sooooooo happy with this!

He is still laying his ears back a lot on the send and a little on the allow, however as soon as I call him to attention out there he is literally all ears LOL. I expect that in good time I'll understand what he is trying to tell me, but I want to keep in mind that "slow and right beats fast and wrong" thus I don't want to go rushing into trying to discover why he is doing this. This seems to keep me in balance even though my wayward feelings tell me I am not being progressive enough LOL. I know now that relaxation is what I need and want and you don't get that by driving yourself crazy trying to progress!

Pattern update! Remember how I was working on sideways with Gingy? Well, I did that today first thing and he gave me this awesome perfectly balance sideways with a lick at the end! Wow, patter and consistency are amazing teachers!

No comments:

Post a Comment