I wanted to ride Marsan origanally....but it didn't turn out that way. I'm just kinda umotivated and tired at the moment(typical LBI right LOL). I thought I'd just mess around in the house, but I just had to go down and see them(gotta love those furry faces). Once I got down there I found that they were both in a pretty good mood, that's always a plus. I thought about going with my origanal plan and then I decided to just enjoy the sun and hang out(ahhhhh).
The were both feeling pretty LB and they took turns trying to shove me off the barrel that I was sitting on. So I just swung my arms and that got the message across. After a while I was feeling so sleepy that I a couple of our saddle blankets out and laid there in the sun(on the other side of the fence LOL). It was soooooooo relaxing and they were both very curious! Gingy tried to stick his whole head through the panels and that made me laugh. Marsan had that "I'm really puzzled by this" look on her face.
Tonight when I fed them they were both really good. Gingy kinda got the short end of the stick because while he was being a good boy and backing away from his bucket, Marsan came in and snatched a piece of his hay. Of course he sent her away. She always gets kind of concerned at feeding time, pawing, letting her whites show, and lunging fiercely at the hay when I throw it in. So I've been sending out and away from her food, I try to be gentle and assertive on that point as best I can. Tonight was the first night she backed straight up instead of wheeling away and charging back. She must be starting to get the pattern! Yay!
I can't believe how much patterns in general are helping me be a better leader. For instance I've been doing a little lateral flexion on the ground with Gingy about every time I play with him. Mainly because he used to not give to the pressure very well. Now sometimes I still do that and when I do he gets more engaged like "I know what we're doing". Now I run my hand down close one finger at a time and by that point he's already soft. We've progressed this to lateral then and indirect rein and back to lateral flexion. It seems like by having different patterns that my horses know, when I pull one out they are more trusting, confident, willing, and obedient. I just love what patterns are doing for my partners even if I still don't totally understand it. I'm starting to get the feel of how to set them up for success when I want to teach something new by using patterns.
It's just all so awesome!!!!!!
Oct 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment