We're the Blaze Gang

Welcome to our blog! I'm studying Parelli Natural Horsemanship with my two ponies, Gingo and Marsan. Both of them have flashy white blazes, hence the name. However, our name is more than just a play on the ponys' markings, it reflects what we are trying to do. We're blazing a new trail, one we've never traveled before; we are becoming true partners. Hopefully some day we'll be a trio all playing to together at the same time. This blog is dedicated to documenting all that we learn and all of our adventures too.

Oct 15, 2009

One of those phases...

K, I'm gonna come right out and say it, I've been frustrated.



I had that big burst of understanding and everything and then....well I don't really know what happened, but I got in a rut.



I'm rather confused I guess, I feel like I'm swimming in a sea of tasks with goal that is so broad I can't begin to decide what I want to do when.

However, due to many previous experiences with "ruts" I know you just have to keep playing along. So of course that's what I've been doing all this time, I just found it hard to post about it all when all going perfectly!

I took the ponies to a friend's house last weekend and while we had fun, I think I did at one point offend Gingy. He really is more sensitive then he lets on too and when I rather callously haltered him, he withdrew mentally. I let him be and went off to play with Marsan, Marsan actually was the calmer of the two at that point. I took her on a walk with my friend's horse and they both were super calm. No, she was not introverted as far as I could tell.

Just the other day I was playing and as far as I can remember, it went okay. Still I felt like I was in a rut and it just wasn't very enjoyable.

Yesterday I played with them both and I rejoiced in all of the things they did for me. That is part of what I lost sight, I started ignoring our progress! I got to ride Marsan for twenty minutes yesterday and it was wonderful. Yes! We made it through all of the pre-ride checks! We've done this before, but that was under the experienced eye of a parelli instructor. This time we did it on our own!!! With Gingy I kind of just pittled around LOL. I know I should of had a more clear plan, he still did really good! I was trying to help him get his hq yields equal to his fq ones when going sideways and this time I did use the fence. He got it really quickly. So then I asked him to trot on the circle for a whole lap, he did pretty good, however there was a catch. He had to trot up a hill and he just couldn't quite bring himself to do it LOL. Eventually he made a good try and I let him stop there. We did some other things, among them sideways towards, which was quite good :) Oh yes, I used treats this time, so he could stay motivated and I could stay learning. He did keep pinning his ears when he was out on the cirlce and I'm wondering why, however I'm sure that if I just keep with the program that will be resolved.

Through this rut I have learned something important about myself. I tend to be high on progressing with everything and not high on being positive, so to bring things back in to balance I think I need to not worry so much about progress. I want to still have a plan, however I don't want to start worrying about ten steps ahead of where we are. I guess this self challenge could also be characterized as not staying in the moment and enjoying it for all it's worth. I came to this conclusion partly because when I do relax and focus on the here and now, then thing work out much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment