We're the Blaze Gang

Welcome to our blog! I'm studying Parelli Natural Horsemanship with my two ponies, Gingo and Marsan. Both of them have flashy white blazes, hence the name. However, our name is more than just a play on the ponys' markings, it reflects what we are trying to do. We're blazing a new trail, one we've never traveled before; we are becoming true partners. Hopefully some day we'll be a trio all playing to together at the same time. This blog is dedicated to documenting all that we learn and all of our adventures too.

Aug 15, 2009

My horse is my teacher

I love it that my horses can teach me through the things I try to teach them. I know God put them in my life for a reason. I am certain that as trying as my partners can seem sometimes, God gave them to me so that he could reach me.

This last week has been great, through God and my awesome ponies I've been able to open my mind to all that both parties can teach me. Instead of feeling really frustrated when things didn't quite work out I tried to learn as much as possible from it.

Then....I started to give into frustration and getting faster and more agressive. So in my heart I prayed that God would give me an open mind and acceptance of the things he choose to teach me. Just through praying I felt more relaxed. After all I realise that getting to lvl three isn't important, I think being willing and ready to apply myself to learning from my horses and from God through them is the most important thing. Every time I start to get frustrated about my little misadventures, I remember what is really important and I am comforted.

When I allowed myself to learn.....then I had a lot of fun with my horses. Marsy wasn't really in a good mood I guess. She would go really LBE and then when I asked for something she would go RBI again. This is what got me so frustrated at first. Then after I prayed I was able to accept the little things she tried to do and reward her a lot. So it all turned out great in the end and I can say I've learned a lot from it.

With Gingy I was just irritated that he wouldn't be more connected when I took him out of the corral. Then when I tried to slow things down for him and we were back in the corral he got really bored. Basically in both cases he zoned out and I couldn't seem to get effective with him. So today we just hung out...FOR THREE HOURS! Through that I found the balance between expecting nothing and expecting to much. Whenever I asked him to do anything I did because I was excited to see what he would do not because I wanted him to get it right. From there we would tweek things a little bit and see what he would do. Sometimes I would bore him and then sometimes he was very connected and interested in what I was doing.

All in all I think I like just playing with them and learning from them. This is what I wanted at the very beginning and I guess I learned through going backwards instead of forwards. Now I'm starting to really wonder weather it matters, I know God has a plan for me and that he loves me more than any human could imagine. In this moment I think God's love is enough for me.

1 comment: