We're the Blaze Gang

Welcome to our blog! I'm studying Parelli Natural Horsemanship with my two ponies, Gingo and Marsan. Both of them have flashy white blazes, hence the name. However, our name is more than just a play on the ponys' markings, it reflects what we are trying to do. We're blazing a new trail, one we've never traveled before; we are becoming true partners. Hopefully some day we'll be a trio all playing to together at the same time. This blog is dedicated to documenting all that we learn and all of our adventures too.

Jun 4, 2009

a good playday...

Today, I woke up really early, and the first thought in my mind was: I have to get down to the horses and work with them! Just as I thought that, my heart started to beat, and started to get restless. Then I realized that I was prepared to force myself to go down and "work"(not play) with the horses. I thought this isn't right, because 1.), all the sudden I physically don't feel good, and 2.), I'm thinking of going down to "work" with them. So I decided that I wouldn't for now and then all my pain and fear went away, funny how that happened.


Later on that morning when I felt ready I did go down, always keeping the word "PLAY" in mind LOL. Every time I would start to get frustrated with myself, I would just think "if we are really playing, then it doesn't really matter so much whether we're making lots of progress, or just bearly any". I also thought: "every time I PLAY with my horses I learn something new, look how far I've come..." and I would look, seeing all things we couldn't do just two weeks ago, that we can now!

That day when I played with Gingy he was really mentally engaged, I didn't say connected because it was more like he was watching me carefully :). I was really happy with my and Gingo's playtime because when I would ask for something, he would say "uh...in a minute", so then I would get really intense, and he would look up right away LOL. I can see how eventually the "in a minute" look will become "Oh! what are we doing now!". When we went out to bring in Marsan and the other two, it went really well. Cherroke and Sug were being good so it was easy for my mom and brother to catch them, Marsan ran off at first, but when she realized that the other two where caught, she was willing to get caught. she immediately came to me, sniffed me, and allowed me to catch her. So now I usually wait 'til all the other horses have been caught then Marsan is very willing, now I think maybe she was having a hard time getting caught because if she started running all of them would run. I know this isn't perfect, but for now this is just great! It's actually just like in the SS Natural Attraction dvd, Pat shows how catching the easiest horses first helps the more tentative ones be confident for catching. I think what I really learned from today was that there is a reason for Pat and Linda calling being with horses "playing" not "working" LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment