We're the Blaze Gang

Welcome to our blog! I'm studying Parelli Natural Horsemanship with my two ponies, Gingo and Marsan. Both of them have flashy white blazes, hence the name. However, our name is more than just a play on the ponys' markings, it reflects what we are trying to do. We're blazing a new trail, one we've never traveled before; we are becoming true partners. Hopefully some day we'll be a trio all playing to together at the same time. This blog is dedicated to documenting all that we learn and all of our adventures too.

Jun 4, 2010

Lots of stuff to do!

     Today I think I spent about four hours down at the barn with the horses!  I guess that's because there was so much stuff to attend to. 

      Now that the green grass is taller, we are getting the horses used to eating it for longer periods of time.  Last week we started with fifteen minutes and now they are up to a whole hour.  Also we have new horse(with no name!) staying at our place on trial for a few weeks(he might be staying permanently!), and he could only be out fifteen minutes.  So we pretty much had to supervise everything to make sure Cherroke(alpha) didn't start kicking him through the fence!  I decided to use the time to get some grooming done on Gingy and Marsan.  

      I started with Gingy and I must say that when I was done he look a lot better.  He's shiny now :)  I used this grooming time to teach Gingy how to come to attention when I was ready to do something, which is not easy for him because he gets so busy eating LOL.  By the time I was satisfied with how he looked he was doing pretty good with being ready to do something.  We tested this on our way back to the corral too and he really did very well.  Sometimes though Gingy does need me to be effective with a phase 4* and that was what I worked on with him today for myself.

       Next was Marsan.  I had a little trouble catching her because her buddy Sug started running so she had the urge to run.  Eventually, they stopped and weren't bothered when I approached.  I clipped a lead to her halter and we moseyed back to the grooming tools.  She didn't need much done with her fur, it was her mane and tail that were the problem.  I ended up braiding her tail.  While I was occupied doing that she stepped on her rope and of course when she started moving I was attached to her tail.  She was pretty LB, thus I felt that she could figure everything out if I just held on.  She did, so I resumed my braiding and she resumed her eating.  Her mane was hardest part and it took an hour!  I was really proud of her though because for that whole hour she stood almost completely still, on a loose rope, and totally relaxed!  Last time I had to do stuff with her mane she was on the move 24/7.

      Today was a lot of fun :)  Oh and about the new horse hopefully I'll have pics soon and also some pics of Marsy and Gingy with their new haircuts LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment