This morning I took Marsan for another ride, this time with going in a new direction to the same gate. There were some changes and Marsan picked up on those right away. The first one was that the rest of the herd left, so consiquently the new horse started whinnying a lot. Secondly, we didn't stay on the road we went through a valley and up a trail. So it was a bit tricky working with these changes and Marsan's response to them.
She did pretty good going down the valley, but when we got to the trail she began to get pretty nervous. I think she has an innate dislike for these mountain trails of ours, because there aren't very many good ways to turn around on them. Since she really didn't feel confident to go up the trail with me on her, I go off and led her up it. She was fine with the leading. Once we were up on the ridge again, I tried mounting. She promtly got nervous again, so I dismounted again and led her some more. I asked her to walk with me in z3* which she was able to do. So I was in the process of mounting again LOL, when my mom showed up. She had taken the herd to the gate were I was going to meet, her and had come to see how we were doing.
Marsan like following mom a lot, so I tried asking her to not follow mom...she really didn't like that. The long and short of it is that we spent some more time on ground work. When I got on her for the last time though, she did what I asked and tried very hard.
Interestingly enough, when I let her go. She just started grazing instead of taking off to find her herd mates. I walked up to her several times, just to pet her and she didn't leave. In fact when we started walking back the house, she looked at us for a moment, like she was going to come before going back to her grass. Lots to think about I guess....
Jun 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment