We're the Blaze Gang

Welcome to our blog! I'm studying Parelli Natural Horsemanship with my two ponies, Gingo and Marsan. Both of them have flashy white blazes, hence the name. However, our name is more than just a play on the ponys' markings, it reflects what we are trying to do. We're blazing a new trail, one we've never traveled before; we are becoming true partners. Hopefully some day we'll be a trio all playing to together at the same time. This blog is dedicated to documenting all that we learn and all of our adventures too.

Mar 1, 2010

Okay, now I'm really listening

     This morning it was so beautiful and crisp outside that I had to go down and try some things with Mr. Gingy.  I put all of my focus into: 1) listening to Gingy's feedback and 2) slowing down when things became uncertain or got out of control.  I must say with those two ideas plastered on my brain things went quite a bit better.

      On Sunday the task we got stuck on was...you guessed it...the figure eight pattern(starting to get the feeling there's more to this).  I didn't want to go to that task first thing, but I did want to play with it a little.  So for awhile we meandered down the road, until Gingy started paying more attention to me.  Once I had some connection we did some z4/5 driving and he was great with that. 

    We tweaked the lead by the tail task, because he just could not figure out how follow the feel when I led him right.  He finally got it, then we were able to back for ten feet with those right turns added in! 

     When we did the FE* pattern he did much better.  I was watching for his feedback and that was, "I really want to stop at the cones!"  Thus, to quell his temptations I stopped him between the cones then he had to hustle at the trot around them.  This made it much easier for him to do what I wanted and harder for him to submit to his "temptations" LOL.  At one point he did ask to go in and one again I thought, "slow and right beats fast and wrong."

No comments:

Post a Comment