We're the Blaze Gang

Welcome to our blog! I'm studying Parelli Natural Horsemanship with my two ponies, Gingo and Marsan. Both of them have flashy white blazes, hence the name. However, our name is more than just a play on the ponys' markings, it reflects what we are trying to do. We're blazing a new trail, one we've never traveled before; we are becoming true partners. Hopefully some day we'll be a trio all playing to together at the same time. This blog is dedicated to documenting all that we learn and all of our adventures too.

Jan 19, 2010

Playday with friends!

Last Sunday my friend and I got together for a little playday with Gingy and her young horse Sweet Pea! We had tons of fun!

When my friend first got to our horse Gingy and I were walking down the road toward the barn. Gingy was in a frenzy as soon as he realized a new horse had come over, so when they unloaded SP we both spent some time with our horses getting their focus centered on us.

We also had a little competition in which the object was to toss the hoola-hoop onto your horse's head five times. Gingy and I won, but that was mostly because my friend's horse's head is too big for the hoola-hoop!

We went on a walk after the competition and that was probably the most fun. We went down our driveway and kind a moseyed along for awhile. We have a ledge running all along one side of our drive, it's a great obstacle because some parts are low and some are higher. I sent Gingy up one high part and he was like, "wow that was crazy!."

My friend took Sweet Pea off the other side of the road and they were doing some interesting circling game in the deep snow(Sweet Pea was trying to do the circles with her head submerged under the snow!).

I took Gingy over to where the ledge was fairly low, so see if he would circle down one side and up the other. At first he yanked a lot on the rope as he descended down ledge, but eventually after several tries I got two nice laps and he started calculating so that he wouldn't yank on the rope. It was awesome!

After that we kind a just hung out with our ponies doing a little stick to me here, some lateral flexion, lead by the tail, etc. Our horses were feeling quite comfortable and it was nice just talking for awhile.

We eventually made our way back to the barn. When we got back I loaded Gingy into my friend's trailer from the tires, that was really cool!

When we were trying to get the horses all settled so we could go eat lunch we decided to put SP out in the pasture. She ran up and down the corral fence for awhile, but then she went up and into the hills. She was coming back down a hill and realized there was a fence in front of her 2' before she hit it. She tried to jump it and kinda got stuck! The great thing was that she just sat down and waited while we struggle up the hill to help her. We got her out of the fence safely! So it was a natural horsemanship triumph! But our fence is broken now :(

It was just a super awesome savvy playday to say of the least! I can wait until we can get together for another one. Hopefully next Sunday we'll be able to. I'm hoping to take videos of us next time and maybe some pics so I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment