Since that not-so-great trail ride I've been doing a lot of thinking. I've decided that I want to put some extra focus into being with the horses at least this month. Sometimes I find it hard having two horses(especially since one isn't ridable) because you get going with one, but when you come back to the other they're a little rusty. So I've decided that for the next three weeks I will try to spend time with both Gingy and Marsan every day. I'm not setting myself any tasks to complete and I'm not going to set myself a certain amount of time I have to spend with them everyday. The only thing I'm committing to is getting out there with each of them each day.
Yesterday was my first day with this new goal in mind. Since we were gone all day I only did a fifteen minute session with each of them, but is was fun. Marsan and I played with HQ* disengagement which is actually improving quite a bit and as a result she is starting to throw off some of her habits of hesitancy and tension. Gingy and are experimenting with how to keep the emotional connection strong, I'm starting to see that sometimes I break it and sometime he does, nice to know that it goes both ways.
Today I had an assortment of sessions with Gingy and Marsan. As is our costom Mom and I took the horses for a short ride up to close the pasture gate. That was nice although I was a little sore on the behind afterward! I almost got sucked into becoming frustrated with Marsan again because she didn't want to leave the pasture, but I decided it wasn't worth it so when she offered something we moved on. With Gingy I was a little uncertain as to what to do today, but I settled on exploring connection some more. He did some really nice stuff at twenty two feet with me sitting down, so we went to liberty. At liberty everything was about twice as hard and we did lose the connection several times, so we'll have to keep playing with that. Then later on I took him out to pasture. He was very unfocused and I think that is the thing about horses that really grates on my nerves, so I did get a little mad, but this time I got on the right track by just bringing in and standing for awhile. I had him do some circle on the road until he put slack in the line, then we did it the other way. After that he was about 80 percent connected, which was a big improvement.
Until tomorrow,
Jul 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment